In the struggle for a decrease of most negative environmental impact and thereby a possible slowing down of the speed of the global climate change, there are today directives and policies at European and global level which invites countries, organisations and individuals to reduce negative environmental impact. Public and Private Sectors on a global scale are today working toward a decrease of their organisations negative environmental impact, by i.e. becoming environmentally certified following environmental standards. The European Commission EMAS and the global ISO 14000 standards are examples of environmental standards which can be of sizeable help in keeping up a strategic and effective environmental quality management system aimed at reducing most negative environmental impact in organisations. However, the environmental management work is often hindered by i.e. economic and knowledge lack within organisations. Therefore, the part of the environmental management process involving environmental auditors will in the project be elaborated for an increased help for both auditing and the management work in an overall perspective. This project aims to fill the existing gap between the need and wish from organisations to work with environmental management and within it, environmental audits, while today lacking in i.e. economic and/or knowledge capacity needed. Therefore, to have an increased opportunity of preparation for a possible coming environmental certification and an increased capacity at decrease of most negative environmental impact. Further, by creating more on-the-job trainings opportunities specifically targeting this issue.
The general objective of this project is to improve the environmental sustainability actions carried out by public and private organisations in Europe for decrease of most negative environmental impact by creating an environmental audit educational training program involving EU and Global directives and sustainability goals.
The specific objectives are:
1. To improve the on-the-job training opportunities in environmental auditing through a train-the-trainers methodology.
2. To improve the competencies of civil servants and practitioners in environmental audit.
3. To foster an exchange of practises and cooperation among EU countries concerning environmental auditing.
The project will develop two intellectual outputs:
1) New train-the-trainers methodology in environmental auditing
2) Education Programme online for open-access usage on a European and Global scale, based on the elaborated methodology guiding open access e-material for societal targets, academia and students.
The partnership has identified the following set of activities in order to achieve the objective of the project:
1) Coordination meetings aimed to steer, monitor and evaluate the activities of the project in details.
2) 2 training events for coming “trainers”.
3) Workshops for training environmental auditors at local level.
4) Multiplier events in each participating country for sharing information about the methodology and online education programme created.